Tuesday, January 17, 2012

things that did and didn't work - food

This week was pretty clean eating for me. Not 100% or anything but probably one of my best. I decided I'd share it, how I did it, and what I want to continue on.

Monday:
Breakfast: 2 egg whites, carrot
Lunch: Trail mix, homemade tomato/celery/carrot juice
Supper: Grapes, Strawberries, Cottage cheese
Snacks: (6!) mini quiche

Tuesday:
Breakfast: 2 egg whites, coffee
Lunch: Grapes, trail mix
Supper: Lettuce/tomato/carrot salad, cottage cheese for dressing
Snacks: 2 mini quiche, cottage cheese

Wednesday:
Breakfast: 2 egg whites, coffee
Lunch: Banana
Dinner: Tuna/celery/cheese/pasta salad
Snacks: Banana, straberries/celery/protein powder shake, cottage cheese

Thursday:
Breakfast: 2 egg whites, grapes + cottage cheese
Lunch: Banana, trail mix
Supper: Tuna/celery/cheese salad
Snacks: Banana, coffee

Friday:
Breakfast: 2 egg whites
Lunch: celery/strawberry protein powder shake, grapes
Supper: Tim Hortons Chili (no bun)
Snacks: 2 bananas, turkey breast sandwich meat

Saturday:
Breakfast: 2 whole fried eggs, apple
Lunch: Can of corn <- I can't cook lol
Supper: Spaghetti squash, chicken, honey dressing w/ tomato broccoli mushrooms black olives
Snacks: Homemade potato chips, banana, 1/2 can cream soda

Sunday:
Breakfast: 2 whole fried eggs, 3 slices turkey bacon
Lunch: Cultures 3 salad combo (spinach, broccoli pasta + coleslaw), banana lowfat yogurt shake
Supper: Banana, 2 apples

Some of it seems like a lot, some of it seems like not enough, but it was. I never once had to let myself go hungry. I ate when I wanted or thought I needed food.

What worked:
I tried to replace as many grain products as I could. Spaghetti squash instead of noodles was incredibly neat and tasty. Wrapping things in lettuce leaves instead of a grain wrap or bread. Being sure to eat breakfast. Adding at least one stalk of celery to almost anything - this can give you about a cup more food with little to no calorie repercussions.

What didn't work:
Having a cheat night. While I stayed in my calories Saturday could have gone much better. Being to busy to make substantial meals and having to rely on protein powder. I think protein shakes are really 'dangerous' because they are high in calorie but provide only one thing. Also, excess protein is automatically stored as fat so I kind of feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette when I take it - was it enough exercise to warrant?! I'll take whole foods with all of their good stuff over protein shakes any day.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you separated out what worked for you and what didn't, because now you can learn from it and improve! I'm not even going to ask about the Saturday lunch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job breaking this down! You are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you - trying to get and more and more clean eating as I go along. I do rely on protein powder (mixed with almond milk) for my breakfast. I've found its the only thing I can eat that early in the morning that doesn't make me feel sick and it's quick and easy to "eat" on the train on my way to work. I don't like the idea of eating real food on the train and everything I've tried to gulp down before I leave home leaves me feeling stuffed and nauseous for most of the morning. Waiting til I get too work to eat is too long to wait for my blood sugar.

    Looks like you did a good job with clean eating though :) And proved that you don't need to cook to eat healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with the protein thing. yes, its a great product for when you need a little extra, but not to rely to as it has no nutritional value in it. we need fresh WHOLE foods for our body to function at prime.

    ReplyDelete