Wednesday, March 7, 2012

crossfit du jour

Once again I'm going to mention my fabulous guest post by V. over at I Miss My Collar Bone, if you haven't read it yet, do!

Warm Up:
Various Stretches

Strength:
Max push ups for paleo challenge (see end)
30 sit ups
40 squats

Workout:

For Time
20 Front Squat (135/95)
400m Run
20 Ring Dips
800m Run
20 FS
400m Run
20 Ring Dips

Results:
Had to work with a partner so had to go by her weight (not complaining though)
FS: 55lbs
Ring Dips: Modified with purple band
Time: 21:38

Paleo Challenge Results
Beginning
Weight: 134lbs
Waist: 34.25
Left Arm: 11.61
Right Arm: 11.81
Left Thigh: 22.44
Right Thigh: 22.83
Chest: 36.02

End:
Weight: 129lbs (down 5lbs)
Waist: 31.88 (down 2.37)
Left Arm: 11.61 (no change)
Right Arm: 12 (up .19)
Left Thigh: 23.42 (up .98)
Right Thigh: 23.22 (up .39)
Chest: 34.25 (down 1.77)

500m row:
From 2:09 to 1:57 (down 12 seconds)

Max Push Ups:
11 to 24 (up 13 push ups)

Max Deadlift:
185 to 200lbs (up 15lbs)

Sorry about the wonky measurements. Everything was taken in centimeters so I used a converter to get the inches and I'm not good at math or rounding or anything. Whoops. So there you have it, concrete evidence of a change. I'm shocked to be honest as I don't feel like I can really see it. Maybe I'll have to spend some time naked in front of a mirror to re-evaluate.. Thats not going to happen, LOL. I think its downright awesome that I've taken inches of fat off of my chest and tummy and added them in muscle to my arms and legs, not to mention visible changes in performance. O happy days!

I got some love on my last post and it made my day. This comment in particular I liked:

A little pee!? HA! I'm a nurse... I was expecting much worse body fluids! But LOVE the dedication, AWESOME workout. And that's just the price we pay... may I suggest some kegel exercises to add to your daily routine? Especially if you plan on having children some day, you will thank me later ;) <3

This was from KateRN over at Losing For Good. She put it into perspective and when I think about it she's damn right. At least I didn't poop. Crossfitters are very forgiving and understand that sometimes when you're putting out max effort your body rebels. Normally its with vomit but HEY.. Whatever floats your boat. My trainer often tells us when he's training us on toes to bar that women, especially women who have given birth, will occasionally pee doing this move, and he always stresses there is no shame in that. The man who will have to clean up the pee says its okay, so I guess its okay. But I'm going to get on the kegels anyways, just in case ;) Kate is sick right now, so if you haven't already, you should stop by and wish her well. Even if you're not a follower, good thoughts always help and maybe you'll find a new blog you like!

One last thing I wanted to talk about is L. in my crossfit class. She and M. (and W. and a lot of other people) are a huge reason why I like the morning classes, they always push so hard and are so inspiring. L. is an older lady, I'm guessing in her 60's or 70's but I don't want to ask because that doesn't seem nice. She can't jump up to the pull up bars, or even step onto the boxes high enough to get her there, so what does she do? She brings over a high box and a smaller box and makes herself steps. She can't do full push ups so what does she do? She goes off her knees. Often on longer workouts she can't add the 20lbs needed to get the bar off the ground, so what does she do? She puts her bar and two small boxes to get it off the ground. Today, she couldn't run the full 800m, so what did she do? She ran what she could and walked what she couldn't. She NEVER quits and even though she can't do everything, she does EVERYTHING SHE CAN. She is a huge inspiration and I admire her dedication. Today we were talking about the changes she's seen and she said not only can she now see muscles in her arms and weight coming off her body, but she can also see functional changes like higher energy levels at work and she has the ability to move and hang things that she couldn't before. L. is the perfect example of why ANYONE can crossfit (but I understand if you're nervous.. I think if I were to ask, about 90% of people at my gym including myself would say they had to build themselves up a bit to get the courage to join). 

The fact is that you'll never be ready for crossfit so you just have to jump in... And even though you might not be ready for it, you'll be able to do it, and crossfit will make you ready for life.

A video of toes to bar:

A grandmothers progress in 1 year of eating paleo and doing crossfit

Tim is working hard and shedding pounds, only a few weeks in

2 comments:

  1. A little pee never hurt anyone :D Amazing workouts those cross fit ones! Seems like something I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me want to try crossfit. I have to find a place when I move...

    ReplyDelete